Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mentoring


One thing that Dr. Chris Isichei, Founder and Coordinator of the Faith Alive Clinic, is most excited about this summer is the beginning of a mentoring class. He’s been leading a group of eight people (six men and two women) during weekly sessions. Topics include writing your ideal eulogy and life mission statement and setting smart goals. But unlike other trainings, Dr. Chris encourages people to set unrealistic goals. That way, only God can take the credit when you succeed.

This week we separated into small groups. We took turns sharing one of our goals with other people playing an angel, a devil and God. For example, I said that my goal is to publish my book before twelve months are through. God and the angel encouraged me by saying all things are possible, my grace is sufficient for you, you can do it, etc. The devil told me lies—I don’t know enough about Africa, I can’t do it, I should play and rest instead, etc. It was a great preparation for expecting and overcoming obstacles.

I suggested to Dr. Chris that he videotape the weekly sessions so that more people can benefit from his mentoring. I’ll let you know if this happens. If it does, I’ll be the first to watch the tapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment