Tuesday, November 30, 2010
More of November's Spiritual Theme: An Overcomer
“For everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.” (1 John 5:4)
Pastor Ben at Faith Alive says that “the world is an enemy that we should work through faith to overcome.” He says, “The world uses three strategies and forces to hold people captive as cited in 1 John 2:16. They are:
1. Lust of the eyes (what the eye sees)
2. Lust of the flesh (what the flesh feels and desires)
3. Pride of life (life attainment/achievement)”
Therefore, Pastor Ben asks three related questions about this month's spiritual theme:1. “Has the faith you possess in Christ overcome the lust of your eyes or you are still struggling with whatever your eyes see?
2. Have you killed the lust, the cravings of your sinful nature (flesh), or they are still controlling you?
3. Has your faith subdued the pride that comes from your life achievement--educational attainment, job position, economic status, family background, racial sentimentalism, etc.?
Faith in Christ was meant destroy and neutralize all of these, leaving no room for the world to manipulate you because all of these came from the world (1Jn 2:16). If you are still struggling with any of the above questions, then it is a signal that faith is lacking or weak. And this calls for a greater labour and cry out for God to increase your faith. It is my prayer this month that we shall, through the strength provided by faith in Christ, conquer all the manipulations and gimmicks from the world and begin to live a victorious life in Christ.”