Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thankful for Dr. Mercy


Whenever I mention Dr. Christian and his wife Dr. Mercy, I have to say, "Yes, honestly. Those are their real names." Chris and Mercy Isichei are truly a match made in heaven. Not only did they both choose to be doctors, but they have a history of selfless compassion that continues to this day. I'm not surprised to find people eating and sleeping at their home (friends and relatives passing through, as well as people they've just met who need a solid meal and resting place). After all, both Chris and Mercy were known in their university days for sharing their rooms. Mercy told me that she used provide hospitality to many students at once, lining them up like puzzle pieces to sleep--head to toe, toe to head, etc.

I'm thankful to know Dr. Mercy, a surgeon who volunteers her expertise at Faith Alive. She even let me don scrubs there last year and watch her perform a hernia surgery. The operating table at the time was too high for her, so she stood on a step stool with her scalpel. The man's arms needed to be outstretched (like a lowercase "t"), so she used 2x4s to support his arms. Quite impressive, actually. And successful.

When I interviewed her for the book I'm writing, we were near the operating theatre. Partway through, she said something like, "Excuse me. I need to remove a child's finger, but I'll be right back." About twenty minutes later she returned and continued the interview. All in a day's work.

It reminded me of the days when Dr. Mercy counseled commercial sex workers about HIV/AIDS. She'd go to their workplaces and talk with them. When clients arrived, they'd excuse themselves for a short period of time before coming back to talk with her some more.

I could write an entire book just about Dr. Mercy, but I'll need to finish the one about Faith Alive. In the meantime, stay tuned to read the chapter about her.

No comments:

Post a Comment