Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thankful for Philippians 4


"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:4-7 NIV)

These are my favorite verses because I apply them often to my life. I was really scared to go to Nigeria for the first time in January 2008. I'd never been overseas and had read the travel warnings for this most populous African country. But the moment I stepped off the airplane in Abuja and saw Dr. Chris, I felt the peace of God.

This year I've relied on these verses for little Chris, the four-year-old Nigerian boy who desperately needed lifesaving heart surgery. There were many things to worry about. Who would agree to do the surgery for free or little money? How would we raise the money for international travel? Would his precious little heart survive the surgery? There was a LOT of prayer and petition, and today we give thanks that little Chris has a renewed heart and the chance at a long and meaningful life.

Yes, there are many reasons to rejoice on this American Thanksgiving. I will say it again: Rejoice!

No comments:

Post a Comment