Thursday, October 15, 2009

Mother-Daughter Mission


Three years ago this month I was sitting in a Denver emergency room with my daughter Jenny who’d just sliced her hand while icing my birthday cake. (Note: never hurriedly ice a cake with a large serrated knife or you’ll undoubtedly sport a fresh line of stitches!) During our three hours of unexpected quality mother-daughter time, I mentioned the idea of us going to Nigeria the next summer (2007) to a clinic I’d just heard about. After all, she was interested in being a Physician Assistant and I was interested in finding my niche during my soon-to-be-empty-nest years.

An ER staff member overheard us, left the room, and came back with a printout from the U.S. government warning citizens not to travel to Nigeria. Long story short, Jenny ended up going that summer (and has since gone back with her husband James and two other PA students -- pictured above with Amos). I, however, was too scared to go. It wasn’t until Jenny and a few others from our church went and came back alive that I decided to surrender to God’s calling. Since then I’ve been there three times and, God-willing, will continue to go until I’ve had so many birthdays they have to help me off the plane in my wheelchair!

Even though Jenny and I have traveled at different times, we share a heart and love for Faith Alive. I'm SO proud of her! Maybe one of these times we’ll go there together.

4 comments:

  1. I have no doubt about that (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, so you ARE still reading my blog. :-) Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to know friends and family are still paying attention, no? I am in Florida for my grandmother's funeral, and one of my cousins flew in from - guess where... Fort Collins. :) Small world. If you know the Gagnon's say Hi from me.

    ROB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to hear from you, Rob. Sorry about your grandmother. I don't think I know the Gagnons. With you being a space guy, what do you think about our balloon boy's family -- NOT how we want to get FC on the map~

    ReplyDelete