Monday, October 5, 2009

Calling Nigeria




Don't I resemble the photo of this white woman? :-) Anyway, I want to pass on a few tips for talking on the phone (Colorado to Nigeria and vice versa). It's a highlight of my day when I talk with one of my Nigerian friends.

1. Americans, buy a Nigerian calling card (I recommend www.uniontelecard). Be prepared to enter about a zillion numbers!

2. Nigerians, dial + 1 before the American telephone number.

2. Remember the time difference (please!). Nigeria is 7 or 8 hours ahead of Colorado, depending on the time of the year (daylight savings time). More than once I've been woken from a sound sleep....

3. Speak loudly, clearly, and slowly. Even though English is the official language in both America and Nigeria, our accents and even word choices can be confusing.

4. Remember that laughter translates into all versions of English -- laugh heartily!

5. Try to keep your cell phone charged (this is more for my Nigerian friends who are often without electricity and have to plug in their phones when a generator is on).

Enough advice. Time to call someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment