Monday, August 17, 2009

Weekend Happenings


The weekend was filled with eating, eating, and more eating! Friday we were treated to a delicious dinner at Hill Station, undeniably the nicest restaurant in Jos. Saturday we shopped at a Fair Trade Shop connected with Ten Thousand Villages. I bought a matching outfit for Mark and me, although it’ll take some convincing to get him to wear it! That evening we had dinner and a party at Faith Alive, complete with authentic cultural drummers and dancers. It was a chance for the Nativity team to say their goodbyes; they left this morning. Sunday I went to a Catholic Church with Greg (our driver) and Jane (Save-A-Life staff) in honor of Jane’s thanksgiving (see previous blog). We danced in the aisles, and a live goat, eggs, and palm oil were given at the altar (a ‘first’ for me!). After that we joined the support group for encouragement and praise.


I’ve learned not to walk outside our compound any time after 6 pm. Yesterday was the first time I’ve ever been afraid here, when Blessing and I were walking from Faith Alive to the guesthouse around 7 pm. The cars were coming fast and close (we have to walk on the broken road since there aren't sidewalks). One driver yelled at me for not moving over, and then pulled over and got out. I feared he was coming for us, but fortunately he stopped and talked to someone else. Other people were giving me 'the evil eye,’ which a few Nativity people also experienced. This was all near the neighborhood brothel where business was attracting flies, so to speak. Next time I’ll have a driver take me, or just not go out. Maybe this is a lesson and preparation for our trip to Lagos on Thursday.

Last night Nkiru had the television on to a 'West Africa Idol' -- reggae night. Interesting to hear a little Bob Marley!

2 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying your travels. Take care and tell Dr. Chris "Hi" for me and all the others too!
    In Christ,
    Deenie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please have a safe journey to Lagos on Thursday. We'll be thinking of you and Dr. Chris.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete