Friday, August 21, 2009

Happiness





It’s about time for an uplifting blog post, so here are a few happy photos. Please enjoy!

There's a Nigerian card game called WHOT. It's similar to UNO but they refer to the shapes as 'bowl' for circle and 'carpet' for square. I play it with the policemen guarding our guesthouse. Two days ago I was the champion, but yesterday Basheel took the title. I'm going to challenge him today. I don't let them win, even if they DO have the guns!

The food here has been EXCELLENT! Baba, our cook, makes hearty meals (mostly carbs) and I'm sure I'm putting on some weight. We do get some fruits and vegetables, although they make up a small portion of our overall diet. I also drink full-sugared Coke (which seems to be available in even the most remote villages).

Most of the visitors here have been getting sick -- colds, stomach problems, etc., but so far I've escaped everything.

Thanks for your prayers. This trip has been very worthwhile and while I miss home, they're taking very good care of me. :-)


2 comments:

  1. Sanu Erika

    Ina Ini?

    I wish I had had time to learn Whot!? Glad you are having fun. I am definitely going through carb withdrawal now that I am back on my regular diet! My cold lasted from Friday until today - I am still a little stuffed up, but Tuesday was the worst. Otherwise, we are all home and doing fine - fired up about what we saw there.

    Keep posting. We miss you all already.

    Sia an jima,
    ROB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erika,

    We look for new stuff on your blog every day. What extraordinary experiences you are having. You must have a bookfull already. And next week Mark will join you to see just what you've been up to for the 3rd time.

    Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete