Monday, August 10, 2009

Service, Soccer, and Support Group



Sunday morning I worshipped at Pastor Ben’s church. What an inspiration to be part of all the dancing and singing during the 2 ½ hour service -- what a joyful way to praise God! I hope to visit a variety of churches while I’m here, including Pastor Esther’s. I’ll miss two Sundays: next Sunday I’ll be in Abuja waiting for a Monday flight to and from Lagos, and Sunday the 30th I’ll be in Abuja to pick up Mark.


Dr. Chris and I plan to travel to Lagos to free a large order of Save-A-Life medications from captivity. I don’t really understand the problem, but apparently going in person with all our documentation will help the lifesaving meds leave Lagos and be transported to Jos. The boxes were supposed to be sent to Abuja but the pharmaceutical company in India made a mistake. Please keep us in your prayers for safety and success, as patients’ lives literally depend on this medication.


This afternoon we went to a nearby stadium and watched the Faith Alive soccer team. They won the state championship earlier this year, but unfortunately lost today’s game due to a penalty kick. Beyond the cement stadium wall we could see the four mosque pillars – something we don’t see in Fort Collins.


We left the game early to go to the Support Group. Over 100 HIV+ people filled the room for another two hours of singing, dancing, laughing, and crying. They meet each Sunday afternoon to encourage each other. Pastor Esther says we are all positive – either with HIV or in our hearts.

2 comments:

  1. I love Pastor Esther's comment - "we are all positive, either with HIV or in our hearts". I plan to share that one! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi EJ, We've been following your blog daily. Sure hope you can find those meds in Lagos. After researching Lagos Airport, we'll be glad when you get out of there. Loved the chickens and gunshots story.

    Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete