Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Counting Soldiers



Tuesday I sat in the lab with Johnson and learned about counting soldiers. Let me explain in children’s terms, which is my level of understanding when it comes to science. Johnson realized his technical terms were flying above my head when I admitted that on my SAT I’d randomly circled answers to science questions. Patients who are HIV+ need to know how sick they are so they can get treated appropriately. Someone sticks a needle in your arm and takes blood from your body in ‘the screaming room’ (I named this after I heard children wailing behind the closed door). Your blood is then taken to the lab for testing. In the west we can measure the actual viral load (the bad guys), but here we have to rely on a count of people’s CD4 number (the good guys). The higher the CD4 count, the more good guys, or ‘soldiers’, you have in your body that are fighting the bad guys.

Johnson says a healthy person has 500 – 1,500 soldiers working for them. Actually he used terms like lymphocytes and T Cells, but I hope you’re okay with my terms. Anyway, when HIV strikes, you start to lose soldiers. When you are down to 350 soldiers you can decide to start taking medicine every day for the rest of your life (or until there’s a cure). If you have 200 or fewer soldiers, you have full blown AIDS and really need the medicine. If you take it, you can increase your soldiers above 200 and you will not have AIDS any more (but you’ll always have HIV). There you have it. Johnson wanted to tell me more but I told him that was enough for today. I’m happy knowing that HE knows what he’s doing.

On another note, I’m getting a bit homesick. I’ll be really glad when Mark’s here.

4 comments:

  1. Sannu Erika!

    I've been following your blog and just envious that you can stay longer :). I feel like I'm living vicariously through your stories and pictures. Keep up the great work and looking forward to the final print. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Say Hi to Susi, Esther and the FA family. We miss you guys!
    Gin Gin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erika,

    Mark will soon be there. I wondered when you would get homesick, but having him there will help greatly. Hang in there, girl. You're doing great work.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Erika

    Even though I haven't been commenting, I check your blog every night when I'm on the computer. I imagine Mark will be just as glad to see you.

    I'm learning some things through you. What an experience for you.

    Love, GML

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for everyone's encouragement. We miss you too, GinGin! While I've been a bit homesick, I'm still very glad to be here. I wouldn't, however, want to be here two more weeks without seeing Mark.

    ReplyDelete