Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Still Settling In


What a welcome to be greeted by familiar faces and see a large sign with my name on it. It’s like the old song “I knew you were coming so I baked a cake, baked a cake, baked a cake. Allelu, allelu, allelu.” While our cook Baba didn’t bake anything (how CAN you with no reliable energy source?), he DID make some potatoes, cabbage, beef with ‘mystery’ sauce, and chopped papaya. Just as good any ol' day.

There are so many impressive improvements in just the four months since I was here. The xray machine and surgery center are operational (pun intended), the Faith Alive Café (‘Da Addi’, I think) is cooking Nigerian food, and what was once an empty lot is now an empty lot with a barbed wire fence and some play equipment. Soon it’ll be a joyful place for neighborhood children to gather.

It’s been a good but tiring few days. I’ll sign off, get in bed under my mosquito net, and drift away to the sounds of people on loudspeakers, generators humming, and rain hitting the roof. In the morning I’ll wake up to roosters crowing, more loudspeakers, and women getting water from the well and hanging laundry on the line. Amazingly I can sleep through most of it. Goodnight, John Boy.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are getting some rest. We are keeping up with your posts and are thinking about and praying for you. Enjoy this wonderful time!
    Alice and David

    ReplyDelete