Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Inspiring Interviews













The interviews have begun! I intentionally waited until the second week here to start them so I could settle in and reconnect first. I ‘set up shop’ in my flat, with a makeshift desk for writing and a sitting area so my guests can be comfortable. They must feel at home because each interview is easily two hours! It’s not good to rush when telling such personal life stories.

Yesterday I interviewed Amos Toye, the university lecturer and architect who donated his skills designing the current three-story hospital. Years ago he was the only survivor in a crash that killed the other six people in the vehicle -- he sustained third degree burns over 55% of his body. Fast forward over a decade to the former Faith Alive building’s fire in 2006 that destroyed all the medical records and equipment. Amos drew from his own experience to rise from the ashes and rebuild. This time it wasn’t his life, but the life of the clinic.

I spent today with Kate Clement, headmistress of Elim Elementary School. Before she had this position and became Faith Alive’s ‘Mama’ of the HIV Support Group, she was a widow’s daughter who had lost her father and four siblings during or right after Nigerian’s Biafran Civil War in the 1960s. Against many odds, she continued her education to complete a Master’s degree while being a single parent after her first husband abandoned her. She started Elim school in her home, teaching seven children English, and has expanded it to a 12 room school with 160 students and 13 teachers. She has since remarried and counsels others to have hope in Jesus Christ.

The photo of me is with Faith, the little girl at Elim I usually ‘snap’ in front of the blackboard.

Lagos Update: Dr. Chris and I now plan to travel there NEXT Wednesday - Friday. We've had to change our plans to accomodate the Nativity team. The name of the game is 'flexibility.' Thanks for your continued prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment