Friday, August 7, 2009

Girls' Day






I sponsor a young woman through the Save-A-Life program. It means that I’m responsible for her lifesaving ARVs (anti-retroviral medications for HIV) over the course of her lifetime, for just 50 cents a day. I co-lead this program through my church (First Presbyterian Church in Fort Collins, CO), and we are currently saving 175 AIDS patients. They now lead productive, healthy lives and many are teachers, pastors, counselors, seamstresses, etc.; some are even employed at Faith Alive. Please contact me if you would like to sponsor one or more patients for $183 per year (and thanks to you who are already sponsors).



Anyway, I deemed today ‘Girls’ Day’ and treated this young woman (who will remain nameless for privacy) to a Nigerian spa. The day included getting our hair done and having our toenails painted at the Faith Alive Salon School, all for the price of about $6. After 2 ½ hours she felt beautiful while I had to sneak back to the guesthouse to rewash and fix my hair in a non-beehive style. Small pink curlers and African gel are not to touch my hair ever again! However, getting my hair washed in warm water was worth the experience. After the salon I bought her lunch at the new Faith Alive Da Adi café where she had authentic Nigerian food and I sipped a Coca-Cola.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you made it safely. The people there are truly blessed with your presence.

    Was really surprised to see Mark standing there when I opened my door. A nice plus for my birthday. Was proud to introduce Mark, Doug, Kelly, Chris and Taylor in church.

    Love, GML

    ReplyDelete