Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Operation Little Chris: New Proverb


Africans are known for their proverbs. "He who cannot dance will say, 'The drum is bad.'" "Confiding a secret to an unworthy person is like carrying grain in a bag with a hole." "Rising early makes the road short."

Daniel and I have a new wise proverb: "It is better in a hospital room to watch cartoons with a happy child than to watch the sports channel with a crying child." I have to smile when I hear that little Chris is watching even more episodes of Tom and Jerry, Ben 10, Spiderman, and other cartoons. It keeps his mind off what's happening to his body.

Yesterday when I called them, I heard crying. I asked, "Is that Chris?" "Yes," Daniel said, "it is. I need to give him his medicine and he just wants to mount resistance."

By God's grace, soon they will be home in Nigeria where Daniel will be able to watch an Arsenal match while little Chris plays with his mommy.

(Photo of a proverbs calendar sold by Ten Thousand Villages.)

No comments:

Post a Comment