Thursday, July 15, 2010

Narrative Nonfiction


I’m taking a four-part Narrative Nonfiction writing course from Greg Campbell, author of Blood Diamonds. No, he didn’t write the brilliant yet horrific Blood Diamond movie that’s set in Africa, but the movie’s scriptwriter used Greg’s book as a primary reference.

Narrative nonfiction is a relatively new term for using literary techniques (story telling, dialogue, scenes, and description) to capture a real subject. That’s what I’m learning to do with the book I’m writing about Faith Alive. I say “learning” because my college journalism courses focused on the good old fashioned who, what, when, where, and why of writing. Greg is teaching us to concentrate on the why and add the how.

His website says that he has reported from Nigeria. I plan to ask him next week about his experiences there and then let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment