Saturday, February 13, 2010

# of Nigerians in Winter Olympics



Zero. Nadda. Zip. Last night I watched athletes from each participating nation march into the Canadian stadium. They waved their country flags proudly. Sure, it was a long shot, but you never know. My suspicions were confirmed when a large Norway contingent appeared. No green and white from my African home. I’m actually not surprised, because about the coldest it gets in Nigeria is around 50 or 60 degrees Fahrenheit (10-15.5 Celcius). Which begs the question…what’s Ghana doing in the winter Olympics?

In addition to rooting for the United States, I’m going to cheer for Canadian speed skater and Olympic medalist Cindy Klassen. She visited Faith Alive in 2006, and appears in the video “When Life is the Prize.” It highlights Faith Alive and a Save-A-Life patient. Let me know if you want to borrow the video. Or you can order a copy at http://secure.mcc.org/mccstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=479. Cindy's personal website is http://www.cindyklassen.com/index.html#.

Just wait. Nigeria’s turn is coming this summer at the World Cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment