Monday, February 15, 2010

Goodluck Jonathan Now Nigeria's Acting President


Let’s pray that a name is destiny. Last week, Nigeria’s Vice President (Goodluck Jonathan) assumed the role of Acting President. Elected President Umaru Yar’Adua left the country November 23, and is reportedly in Saudi Arabia receiving medical treatment for his heart and kidneys. A Muslim, he did not sign over powers to his Christian VP. I’m not clear who decided to make the transition official, or if it’s even constitutional, but Mr. Jonathan has assumed power.

He said, "I am fully aware of the responsibilities reposed in me, and I want to reassure all Nigerians that this is a sacred trust, which I shall discharge to my fullest abilities." In a country with a history of military coups, he thanked the armed forces for "their loyalty and devotion to duty during this trying period."

"The circumstances - in which I find myself assuming office today as acting president of our country - are uncommon, sober and reflective," he said. "More than ever therefore, I urge all Nigerians as a people who have faith in God to pray fervently for the full recovery of our dear president, and his early return."

2 comments:

  1. well Erika, i did a similar note last week too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw it. It's great that you have your own blog, Nna.

    ReplyDelete