Monday, February 6, 2012

Holy Land



You may have noticed that I didn’t post anything last week. That’s because I was on the trip of a lifetime, visiting sites and people in the holy land. My husband and I marveled at Bethlehem, Nazareth and Jerusalem, along with other significant places.

While visiting the Wailing Wall, I noticed some women dressed in colorful Nigerian wraps. Not one to be shy, I struck up a conversation and learned that they were from Anambra State and had heard of Faith Alive. It turns out that the Nigerian government subsidizes their citizens to go to the holy land, which helps explain why Nigeria makes up the largest number of pilgrims in Jerusalem.

I doubt that any of them, though, get to visit with Archbishop Elias Chaucor in Haifa. Our group had the high honor to meet him and hear about his efforts to promote peace and reconciliation between Arabs and Israelites. After his talk, I asked him what message I can bring to Faith Alive and Nigeria where an extremist Muslim sect is bombing Christian churches. Father Chaucor said, “Remind them that Good Friday doesn’t last forever. There is resurrection and hope.”

Here’s to hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment